Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Too early for pumpkin? Never.

Well, today I got to use my hammer for the first time.


This afternoon, after my morning classes and a nice long run, I came home and started preparing to do some baking. I was washing some dishes that I'd neglected earlier this morning, when I started to hear a faint ringing noise. I turned off the water and the music playing on my laptop, but it seemed to grow louder.

I powered down my laptop, thinking maybe I was receiving a sign that I'd been listening to an excessive amount of Michael Buble...

but the ringing continued.

I considered maybe it was in my head because when I run I listen to my iPod on a higher volume than usual...

To test that theory I called one of my little brothers. He could hear it too.

I eventually discovered that the source of the ringing was coming from under the sink, but when I turn the water pressure handles nothing happened.

After suffering an hour of baking in the kitchen amidst the ringing, I went into my living room and covered my ears with a pillow for some temporary relief.


Two hours had passed and the ringing persisted. With tissues stuffed in my ears, I determinedly charged back into the kitchen to find the source. I tried the water handles again, pushed aside paper towels and cleaning products, and then I saw it.


A spare smoke alarm that had gotten wet.

Not just any smoke alarm though. The world's most persistent and stubborn smoke alarm.

I tried and tried to pry the battery cover off to silence the ringing with no success.


So this is what happened: I wrapped the alarm in a towel, held it under my sweatshirt to attempt to muffle the noise, and dashed down the back stairwell of my apartment building. Once outside, I set the alarm on the pavement and took a hammer to it, Office Space style (minus the old-school gangster rap, unfortunately).



This is what Casper did throughout the entire 3 hour ordeal:




Despite it all, I baked!

The temperature is supposed to drop down to the 50s tomorrow, and I couldn't think of a better reason to make these little guys. If Starbucks can roll out their pumpkin spice so can I!


Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Makes 12 medium sized muffins

Ingredients:
2/3 cup sorghum flour
2/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup potato starch
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

15 ounces canned pumpkin purée
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar

3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place liners in muffin tins.

In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients until well combined.

Whisk together wet ingredients in a small mixing bowl.




Avoid mauling your can of pumpkin, such as I did. Don't ask me how, but in my 19 years I've never mastered the can opener.




Gradually pour into the dry ingredients and mix using a rubber spatula until combined with no floury chunks. Stir in nuts, if desired.

Distribute evenly into muffin tin (I use an ice cream scoop to guarantee equal amounts).

Bake for 22-25 minutes. To test, stick a tooth pick or fork in the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean the muffins are ready!

Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool for an additional 30 minutes before eating.





Enjoy in some comfy pants and a sweatshirt!

1 comment:

Jess jennings said...

This had me laughing. I can just see you outside bashing a smoke alarm :) your blog is fabulous, keep up the great work!