Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fall, in its literal sense

Well, looks like I'm going to Mexico in January!

If I can work out a few technicalities, that is. If I'm going to have to take gym in college, might as well fulfill the requirement in the mountains of Cuernavaca! The process is a little complicated though. After classes today I was running back and forth between different department offices trying to get forms signed. Just have to be persistent and keep my fingers crossed!

It was raining off and on all morning today, and by the time I got home from a trip to Trader Joe's it was perfect running weather outside. I ran one of my usual routes, up Summit to Snelling, then down to Lexington. I was getting into my groove, listening to a little Simon and Garfunkel, when suddenly I felt the ground slip out from underneath me.

Made the mistake of ignoring all of those slippery leaves along the sidewalk.

I got up and brushed myself off, attempted to gather what was left of my dignity. Luckily the only witnesses were a black lab and his owner. Ended up with a gnarly scrape down the side of my right leg. I would post a picture, but this is a food blog and I feel as though that would be slightly inconsiderate.

As if my knees aren't banged up enough.

Homemade Autumn Granola
Makes approx 8 cups

5 cups gluten free rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup walnuts
1 cup dried fruit (I used Trader Joe's orange flavored cranberries)
3 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (any cooking oil)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients.

Spread over a parchment covered baking sheet (may need to do 2-3 separate batches)

Bake for 10 minutes, then give the granola a toss. Place in the oven for another 10 minutes. Repeat process until granola is golden brown and has some crunch. (Keep a close eye on it, definitely burnt my first batch!)

Wait until cooled before eating!



No comments: