Friday, September 2, 2011

This ain't no Bisquick.

To start, today kept me very busy, which was a welcome change of pace.


Things started off a little rough because I've come down with a cold recently, but I chugged a few mugs of tea (Lilly should be proud) because I had orientation for Augsburg this afternoon. Classes start Wednesday, and I'm definitely ready to get back into the routine of a student. I haven't really gotten a good grasp of what the school's like yet, but I'm feeling optimistic.


After orientation I took a little stroll through the neighborhood to Starbucks. As much as I love and support locally owned coffee shops, Starbucks is familiar and will most likely always be a weakness for me.


I set up post in a comfy chair and looked over some of the pamphlets and handouts I received from school earlier today. I lingered over the study abroad information. Augsburg offers an incredible amount of options for studying abroad, which it definitely one thing that drew me towards the college. If it fits into my curriculum I'm definitely applying to go to Thailand next summer.


After imagining myself riding an elephant through Bangkok, I perused the majors and minors that Augsburg offers. Being undeclared, the pressure I feel to find a study path grows greater by the day. I know something will work out, and in the mean time I'm trying to take classes that I'm interested in and that will hopefully lead me in the direction of a major that I'll enjoy.


After a while I decided to discontinue painting a mental picture of the next few years. It was nice to add a few more brushstrokes, but most of my focus needs to be on finding myself a job. Soon. I called a list of places and emailed some resumes, and I'll drive around drop off more tomorrow. Wish me luck!


On to less stressful subjects!


As much as I need to get working on all of the leftovers I have piling up in my fridge, I really wanted to try something new tonight.


Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?


Let me just say that these weren't just the best gluten free pancakes I've ever had. They were the BEST PANCAKES I've ever had. Who knew I would love cardamom so much?


Mom, I can promise you that I thoroughly enjoyed your pancakes as a kid, but I think you understand that I had them one too many Sundays in a row.


Gluten Free Pancakes with Spiced Peaches
Makes eight 4-inch pancakes


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix (don't follow the package instructions)
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (omit vegetable oil)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


Topping:
1 fresh peach
2 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon cardamom




In a mixing bowl with a pouring spout whisk together milk, egg, and yogurt. Once combined add the dry pancake mix, whisking until smooth and free of clumps. Add cardamom, cinnamon, and vanilla. Once mixed together set aside.


Cut the peach into thin slices (thickness that's pictured above). Combine all topping ingredients in a small small pan and bring to a boil on medium heat, then reduce to a simmer.


Spray a medium sized pan with cooking spray and place on the stove over medium to medium-low heat. Pour approximately 1/3 cup of the batter onto the pan. Once the pancake has developed a good amount of bubbles on the surface flip to the other side. Remove once both sides are golden brown and repeat.


Serve hot and spoon the peaches over the pancakes, finishing with more agave nectar if desired.


I had to be extra quiet throughout all of this so I didn't interrupt Casper's snooze session.



No comments: