Friday, September 16, 2011

Love of the Fall

Fall is so much more exciting to me now since it brings new possibilities for recipes! Just tonight I tried butternut squash and sage for the first time.

I love how food brings people together. Food is kind of like fashion; it has its trends, changes with the seasons, and it will always be necessary. The food we cook and how we prepare it is always evolving; it's an art form that I can enjoy everyday and it will always be relevant.

I feel comforted by the idea of having endless opportunities to cook and bake for those who I love.


One thing that was brought to my attention this week is that I'm going to need to improve on my layering skills. Fast. My flimsy little cardigans aren't going to cut it up here in Minnesota.



Butternut Squash Lasagna 
Serves 6 to 8
(this is a tripled recipe of what I made)

Ingredients:
8 cups of butternut squash (fresh)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
5 tablespoon olive oil
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped (plus extra for top)
3 bags of fresh baby spinach
9 cooked gluten free lasagna noodles (I used tinkyada)
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese


Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Peel squash and chop down the middle. Scoop out the squash guts and seeds using a spoon. Chop into half inch cubes.



Place cubes into a bowl, then add balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Toss until evenly coated. Spread out onto a baking sheet, then season with salt, pepper, sage, and thyme. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring half way through.

While the squash bakes, cook the pasta to package instructions. With gluten free noodles, it's important that you briefly rinse them in cold water after straining.

In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium/low heat. Add spinach one handful at a time, allowing it to wilt and then adding more. Once all the spinach is wilted set aside.

Once the squash is done, put the cubes into a heat safe bowl and mash with a potato masher or the next best utensil (I used a wooden spoon).

To form the lasagna, spray a 9x9 oven safe baking dish with cooking spray. Layer the bottom with lasagna noodles. Spread a thick layer of squash on top of the noodles. Over the squash spread a layer of ricotta cheese. Layer noodles over the cheese, followed by a layer of the spinach, squash, then ricotta cheese. Place noodles on top and sprinkle with parmesan and a little chopped sage.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until bubbly, at 350 degrees.



Serve hot!


No comments: