Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cardamom Cranberry Tea Bread

Seems like fall is attempting to fight winter's cold, and fall is winning today. Casper and I are hanging out in the kitchen with the windows open; I'm doing some reading for my ethics course and he's chasing my iPod plug-in around the floor. I feel like Minnesota is toying with me a bit, trying to act as if I'm not about to get an icy cold slap in the face within a week or so.

No one likes a tease, Minnesota. 

The day has been filled with typical weekend activities: sleeping in, grocery shopping, cleaning, baking. My cashier at Trader Joe's told me she once had a dog named "Galena." Wasn't sure how to feel about that one.

I currently have a tea bread loaf in the oven, and I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I'm trying out a previous failed recipe that I posted a couple weeks ago. I'm determined to make it work! Especially now that I can measure my flours, thanks to the awesome food scale my family gave me for my birthday! 

Cranberry Cardamom Tea Loaf
Makes one loaf
adapted from kumquat

Success!


I love quick breads. They make breakfast awesome.

5 ounces of this AP flour mix
4 ounces gluten-free oat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom, and salt.

In a separate bowl combine butter, brown sugar, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla. 

Fold wet ingredients into dry. Don't over mix. Fold cranberries and ginger in.

Pour batter into a greased 8-inch loaf pan.

Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer or toothpick comes out of the center clean.


Perfect for the holidays!




1 comment:

LoriB said...

This is beautiful! Maybe if I'm lucky you'll make some during Thanksgiving break! Love you!