Thursday, September 8, 2011

Indian Summer

Ohhh did I create a masterpiece tonight.

I was finally able to do some grocery shopping today, so a lot of terrific recipes will be posted soon.


Including this little taste of India.


Indian culture has presented itself to me in different forms throughout my life. I've always been extremely interested in the customs and culture, and I've been privileged enough to study Hinduism. I've even been lucky enough to have read a first-hand account of someone's travels through India. Someone who has deeply impacted my life and continues to inspire me every day.

I look forward to possibly traveling to India someday and experiencing all that it has to offer. But, this recipe will keep me completely content for the time being.




Chicken Tikka Masala
Makes two ridiculously delicious entree sized portions

Ingredients:
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken (I used breasts)
8 oz plain yogurt (I used nonfat, but full fat would make the dish richer)
1 medium onion
2 medium tomatoes
1 thumb-sized chunk of fresh ginger root
3 garlic cloves
Fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste

1 teaspoon of the following spices:
Turmeric
Cumin
Paprika
Cardamom
Cinnamon
Red chili powder
Curry Powder

1 cup uncooked basmati rice



Dice onions and mince garlic and ginger (use a food processor, if desired). Set aside.

Finely chop the tomatoes. Set aside separately from the onions, garlic and ginger.

Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Drop into a bowl and add yogurt, turmeric, cumin, paprika, curry powder, and salt. Mix until evenly coated and combined. Empty into a roasting pan and cook under a broiler on high heat, tossing occasionally, until the chicken begins to brown. About 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the rice by following the directions on the package.

In a medium sized pan, add olive oil and turn heat on to medium. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic, frying until soft and translucent. Then, add cinnamon and cardamom. Stir well.

Next, add the tomatoes. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.

Finally, empty the chicken into the pan, stir well, cover and cook on low/medium heat for 10 minutes.

Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and spoon over the rice.






Time to tend to the Taj-Mahal-sized mess I made in the kitchen!

No comments: