Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Coconut Curry Tofu over Cilantro Lime Rice

The haze that has consumed me for the past couple days seems to have lifted a bit. All it has left behind is a super attractive cough.


So, I sound like I'm hacking up a lung, I've forgone make-up this week because holding the mascara wand to my eyelashes takes way too much energy, I can't get my hands to not smell like onions, and I've discovered that all of my clothes smell like Indian food from all of the curries I've been making.


I'm a real catch.


Luckily I do have philosophy to look forward to. Today we began our discussion of virtues and vices, briefly covering the philosopher St. Augustine, who I believe was a prominent figure in Christianity as well. Augustine was originally an orator in Rome, where he discovered his passion for philosophy. Everything about philosophy called to Augustine, but he feared that in changing directions he would lose everything that he had gained. He was rational in fearing this. On some occasions you must give everything up in order to gain it back.


I was even treated to a little modern philosophy in class today. The girl who sits in front of me has Tupac lyrics tattooed across her back.


"I think its time we killed for our women, be real to our women, try to heal our women, 'cause if we dont we'll have a race of babies that will hate the ladies, who make the babies"


Forget about Aristotle. That's deep, girl. 






Coconut Curry Tofu over Cilantro Lime Rice
Serves 2-3


1 cup dry basmati rice
2 cups water
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 a lime


1 block of firm tofu, sliced into cubes
1/4 cup cornstarch (plus one tablespoon)
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 large tomato, diced
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp olive oil or peanut oil


For the rice, add water and rice in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook according to the package instructions, usually around 20 minutes on simmer, covered. Once the rice is done, stir in coconut milk, the juice of half a lime, and cilantro. Set aside.


For the curry sauce, heat a tablespoon of cooking oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Once the pan is heated, add onions. Sauté until translucent and soft, for about 5-7 minutes. Add the chopped pepper along with all the spices. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add the tomato and allow to cook for about 5 more minutes. Stir in sugar, cornstarch, salt, one tablespoon of cornstarch, and coconut milk. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook while you work on the tofu.


For the tofu, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil on medium heat. Drop tofu cubes into a mixing bowl, then adding the cornstarch. Using your hands, gently toss the tofu so each cube is evenly coated with the starch. Carefully add the tofu into the heated skillet. Rotate the tofu often until each side is golden brown.


Once the tofu is cooked through, add to the curry sauce. Stir, cover, and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Spoon over the delicious rice and enjoy!


No comments: