Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Glazed Gingerbread Scones

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I sit in on a cinema class as a notetaker. It's a pretty good deal, seeing that I get paid to watch movies. Today we watched an Akira Kurosawa film, which was interesting, but I struggled to keep up because I had two classes before and was feelin' a little drowsy.

I experience a strange phenomenon during movies. Only under certain circumstances, though. It typically occurs when I'm in a theatre-like setting. From time to time, I experience a moment of pure clarity. It's as if I'm transported out of my body and suddenly I see everything and how it all connects. I think it has to do with the act of sitting down and doing nothing but watching the screen. This makes particular sense because of how over-stimulated we are these days (is your blackberry/iPhone/smartphone next to you right this moment?). I believe that when my mind is taken away from it's constant analyses, it finally takes a deep breath. The consequence of this is that I frequently blank out on good-sized chunks of movies, but I can deal with that.

Today during the screening I came to a realization that I'd been both consciously and subconsciously fighting off for the past few months. It's been building deep inside me for some time now... it was bound to come to the surface eventually. As hard as it is to come to terms with, I hope that it sticks with me for my own sake.

Enough of this psychological babble. I made scones! Again!

Glazed Gingerbread Scones
inspired by this recipe
makes 10-12 little scones



1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup molasses
5 tablespoons butter, ice cold

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Whisk together flours, starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices in a large mixing bowl.

In a separate bowl, beat together brown sugar and egg. Add milk and molasses. Combine until smooth and uniform in color. Place in the fridge until ready to use.

Cut butter into dry ingredients using a pastry blender. Once chunks are no bigger than pea-sized, fold in wet ingredients. Fold until dough just comes together. Chill for about 15 minutes.

On surface dusted with millet flour, pat dough into a disk a little more than half an inch thick. Cut dough into desired scone shapes (I did circles using the lip of a jar). Place on a parchment covered baking sheets and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean from the center.



This, and family, is what makes the holidays awesome. I could do without the cold.

No comments: