Monday, September 19, 2011

Take that, Monday.

I'm not really someone who hates Mondays. To be honest, I rarely acknowledge them or feel as though they're different from any other weekday.

But today was a rough one.

I received funny looks in my classes because I'm still lacking a voice. Some words come out perfectly clear and others sound like they come from my no longer pre, but not quite post-pubescent brothers. I have a hunch that I just have an ear infection, which I get about twice a year. They really need over-the-counter stuff for those.

However, the day had its ups. I aced my first quiz in french, the How I Met Your Mother premiere was tonight, and I made a kick ass soup.

Check it out!



Curried Squash, Sweet Potato, and Apple Soup
Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 1/2 cups squash, mashed (or canned) (I used butternut)
1 1/2 cups sweet potato, mashed
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 one inch chunk of ginger, minced
2 garlic gloves, minced
1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, chopped
1 cup milk
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

If you're using canned puréed squash and sweet potato skip this and go on to the next step. If you're using fresh potatoes and squash, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Peel and chop into half inch cubes and coat with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Mash and move on!

In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat on the stove. Add squash, potato, onion, ginger, garlic, and apple. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onions have softened. Then, add sage, milk, stock, coconut milk, and spices. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

If you're extremely lucky and own an immersion blender, take that baby out and turn this into a creamy delicious soup. If you're a college student who is still trying to put together a well stocked kitchen, break out the regular blender and blend the soup in batches until de-chunkified and smooth.

May have included the apple picture just because I take pride in my fruit peeling skills.

Serve hot!

No comments: