Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cupcake and Crisp

It's a bit blustery in the Twin Cities today.

I was lucky enough to get to see my friend Hillary today! She's one of my oldest friends from Omaha and goes to the U of M. She's a busy little bee, but we managed to sit down today to have some lunch and catch up. We ate at Cupcake in Minneapolis, and to be honest I was a little let down with their gluten-free. I had a bowl of tomato basil soup for lunch, which was good, but I only ordered it because the two other soups that I favored weren't gluten-free. When ordering dessert, Hillary eyed the large selection of cupcakes in their pastry case, and I was handed a kind of sad looking cupcake that was the only gluten-free option they had.

I should admit that I've never been huge on cupcakes, but I've enjoyed a handful. I could tell that this one had been sitting in the fridge for a little too long. The icing had an interesting flavor, almost minty, and completely overwhelmed the sticky, deflated cake.

However, I understand that all sorts of things can go wrong in gluten free baking and I really appreciate all restaurants that offer gluten-free products.

I'll have to try to come up with my own cupcake recipe soon!

Gluten Free Apple Crisp
Adapted from Celiac Teen
Makes one 9 x 9 dish

4-5 baking apples, sliced thin
2-4 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon millet flour

2 tablespoons millet flour
1 tablespoon brown rice flour
1 tablespoon sweet white rice flour
1 tablespoon sorghum flour
1 tablespoon tapioca flour/starch
1/4 cup brown sugar
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Toss apple slices in 1 tablespoon millet flour, cinnamon, honey, and lemon juice. Dump into a 9x9 baking dish.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flours and brown sugar. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter (finally have one, yeah!) or your fingers. Stir in oats, until the mix has a crumbly texture.

Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the apples.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the apples are bubbly and the top is golden

Eat with some ice cream or just by its self! Delicious!

No comments: