Friday, September 30, 2011

Chana Aloo with Saag

I'm feeling very fortunate today.

All of my classes flowed along. They always seem so short to me because they're each an hour long, where as at the New School my shortest ones were two hours, and some studio classes were a full six hours. I've been trying make myself known to my philosophy professor so I can learn more about the major. He's warned me that majoring in philos is a lot of work that usually means extending education to grad school, but I'm really looking forward to the challenges.

My french professor wrote me a very flattering recommendation for the study abroad program, so if my application is accepted I'll spend two weeks in January hiking the mountains of Cuernavaca!

Instead of going for a run after classes today I took a long, leisurely walk through my neighborhood. The weather outside was beautiful today, around 60 degrees and sunny. Perfect for an oversized sweater and a chai latte. It would have killed me to admit it a year ago, but I'm so happy to be back in the Midwest. I love that people smile at me when we cross paths on the sidewalk, and stop their cars at intersections without a light just to let me cross the street. I felt welcomed and comforted as I walked through St. Paul tonight, a vast difference from walking the streets of Manhattan, stressed and hurried. Don't get me wrong, I loved the city and experienced things there that I wouldn't trade for anything. But, you can take the girl out of the Midwest but you can't take the Midwest out of the girl. Unless you consider my friend Lilly, that is. She's a pea in the city's pod, but still maintains her whimsy and lightness.

On my walk I discovered a used bookstore on Grand. Who knew such awesomeness existed just down the street from me! Convenient too, because I needed a copy of Jane Eyre for my intro to literary study class. I definitely think it might become a new hangout.

Made some more Indian deliciousness for dinner! I honestly cannot keep up with how many dishes all of this cooking and baking produces. I have an all new appreciation for dishwashers and look forward to the day when I own one. But, dish time is prime for listening to music, so I can't complain!

Chana Aloo with Saag
adapted from happyveganface
Serves a lot

Ingredients:
2-3 cups cooked chick peas
Approx 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
2-3 medium sized tomatoes, diced
1 yellow onion
1 cup coconut milk (or your preferred milk)
1/2 tablespoon garam masala
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
1 tablespoon sriracha (optional, but awesome)
1 tablespoon olive oil

1-2 pounds fresh spinach
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons green chili peppers (mine were canned)
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil

basmati rice

Get your rice going. I recommend 2 cups of dry rice if serving more than 3.

For the chana aloo, place potato cubes in boiling water and lower heat to medium high. Cook until tender, but not too soft and then drain. While the potatoes cook, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add ginger, wait half a minute, then add onions and spices. Cook until onions are soft and golden, about 5-7 minutes. Add tomatoes, chick peas, and potatoes. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add milk, lower heat to a simmer and cover. Add more spices to taste, if desired.

(Finally getting better with the camera!)

For the saag, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add ginger, garlic, wait a minute, and then add onions. Cook until soft and golden. Slowly add handfuls of spinach, allowing it to wilt gradually. Once all the spinach is wilted add cumin and lemon juice, cook for two minutes, then remove from heat. Pour into a food processor and blend until it resembles a chunky paste. Return to pan and simmer for 5-10 minutes, adding more spices if desired.

Spread some saag over basmati rice, topped with the chana.

Guess this sweater is going to smell like curry now too. Worth it.

No comments: