Sunday, September 4, 2011

Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Fall is here!

Apparently I was really excited about getting to sleep under the covers last night, because I decided to sleep an extra few hours this morning. Totally worth it though because I'm almost over my cold!

Today was a nice, lazy Sunday. I went for a jog, bought a few groceries, and then went and saw a movie. 

It was the first time I'd gone to see a movie by myself, and it was kind of nice. Something about sitting down for two hours and just focusing on something that is completely separate from my own life helps me clear my head and relax. 

Zucchini bread was a perfect way to embrace the fall weather and also take advantage of the summer vegetables while they're still in season. I adapted this recipe from the Gluten Free Girl, changed it up with some walnuts and cocoa powder. Unfortunately, I don't have all of the gluten free flours she uses, so I had to take a risk and use what I had. The results weren't disappointing! The texture was a little dense, but overall I was satisfied. 

Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour, sifted 
1 teaspoon guar gum
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 eggs at room temp, beaten
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups fresh-grated zucchini
2/3 cup (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Sift the flower into a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk in the guar gum, xanthan gum, spices and cocoa powder. Stir until combined and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, agave nectar, and vanilla. Fold in the fresh grated zucchini and melted butter. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt on top, gently stirring it in but not over mixing. 

Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the zucchini mixture, until the smooth and well combined. Stir in the walnuts.

Fill two 9x5 greased loaf pans with even amounts of the batter. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes. To test, stick a dry toothpick into the center of the bread. If the pick comes out clean the bread is ready.

Enjoy with a nice cold glass of milk!




No comments: