Sunday, September 11, 2011

Lavender Vanilla Bean Scones!

I officially found the holy grail of recipes.


If I were a pastry, I would be one of these babies. 


Part of my infatuation with these scones is definitely influenced by my love of lavender. I think "lavender" is one of the most beautiful words of the english language. I've definitely spoken of naming a potential daughter Lavender, which I am half joking and half serious about. 


At the end of my freshman year of college I had a wonderful visit with my Aunt Alice in Pennsylvania. The trip wouldn't have been complete without a visit to Lake Galena, which happens to neighbor the Peace Valley Lavender Farm. 


Lavender and I are destined to be together, clearly.




These scones are definitely the best gluten free baked good I've made so far. The texture was light and fluffy, flaky but not too crumbly like some scones can be. The taste was equally light and floral. Plus, my whole apartment smells heavenly now. 


Only thing missing from this is Lilly and the little tea cup I sent her for her birthday.




I adapted this recipe from Manifest Vegan.




Lavender Vanilla Bean Scones
Makes about 8 medium-sized triangular scones


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup sorghum flour (plus extra for dusting)
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup brown rice flour 
1 tsp xanthan gum
4 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp dried culinary lavender buds
5 tbsp cold butter (follow the link above for a vegan recipe)
3/4 cup milk (I used nonfat)
1 tsp freshly scraped vanilla beans




Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


Into a large bowl, sift together sorghum flour, potato starch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and sugar. 


Add the lavender buds and whisk until evenly distributed throughout the flours. Set aside.



In a small bowl, whisk together milk and the scraped vanilla bean. Set in the fridge until needed.
(To remove the fresh vanilla beans from the pods, take a sharp knife and gently slice a slit down the center of the pod in a horizontal direction. Then, scrape the edge of the knife down the pod, releasing a blackish brown paste. This is what you will whisk into the milk. Discard the empty pod shell.)




Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Work quickly.






Gradually stir in the vanilla bean milk just until the flours are well combined. The dough will be slightly sticky. Continue dusting it with sorghum flour as you work with it.






Chill the dough briefly in the fridge for approximately 15 minutes.


Pat or roll the dough into a slab about an inch and a half thick on a parchment lined surface.


Cut the dough into desired shapes using a cutter or a sharp knife. I chose the traditional triangles.


Place dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.


Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the scones have reached a very light golden brown. 


Cool on a wire baking sheet.






Eat plain, or scroll down for the glaze that I brushed mine with. 




Enjoy with some tea and a great book!








I didn't have any powdered sugar around, so for a glaze I added 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon corn starch, 1 tablespoon agave nectar, 1 tablespoon of butter, and 1 tablespoon of skim milk to a small saucepan and heated on low heat on the stove until the mixture bubbled and thickened. Simply coat the surface of the scones using a pastry brush.

No comments: