Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Molasses Cornmeal Pancakes

Mmmm... pancakes.


Not entirely sure why this photo is so blurry, but I suppose it's appropriate because these pancakes are buttery little clouds of fluffy goodness.

So, I am once again back at my parents house in Omaha! While I was at work yesterday morning I was able to rearrange a shift, so I'll be here until Thursday morning. 

I didn't think I would make it home this break with work, so I was pretty relieved when I crossed the Nebraska state line (that's a pretty weird statement, huh?). Now I'll be able to be here for my Mom's birthday and my family will still be coming up on Saturday for Christmas! Good week.

I crashed pretty early last night, so this morning I decided to make some pancakes for my brothers before the went to school. Notice there's no natural light in that picture? That's because the sun wasn't up yet.

Best sister ever? 

Now I'm sprawled out on the couch and Louie's taking a little pudgy puppy snooze on my legs. 

I think I'll do the same. 

Gluten-Free Molasses Cornmeal Pancakes
adapted from Joy the Baker
makes 7-10 medium sized pancakes

1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 tapioca starch
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup buttermilk (more if the batter is too thick)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 heaping tablespoon dark molasses
1/2 cup cornmeal

Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl with a spout. 

In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk, vanilla, molasses, and butter.

Stir wet ingredients into dry. Add cornmeal. Mix until it just comes together (might be a little lumpy).

Pour onto a skillet over medium heat, wait for bubbles, flip!

Enjoy!



1 comment:

LoriB said...

Happy 100th post, Galina! The pancakes looked fantastic, and your brothers loved them! good to have you home!