Thursday, September 15, 2011

Gluten Free Chocolate Shortbread Cookies

Pretty awesome day today!

My morning started off at 5:30 because I had my interview at 7:00 over in Edina. I interviewed for a position at one of my favorite clothing stores that is opening up a location just down the street from me. It was the first time I'd ever experienced a group interview, which I think is a little more common in the retail world. I was definitely the youngest there and had the least retail experience, but overall I think I represented myself well . Hopefully enough to land myself a job!

I also took a fabulous nap, finally got a school parking permit, and bought myself a roundtrip ticket to New York City!

Can't wait to see everybody up there in October!



Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
adapted from Manifest Vegan


Ingredients:
1 cup of butter (or vegan margarine)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
2/3 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

In a medium mixing bowl whisk together brown rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, and xanthan gum. Make sure well combined and then set aside. 

Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Slowly add in cocoa powder.

Set the mixer to a medium low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the cocoa, sugar, and butter. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to assure an even mix. The dough will be crumbly at first. Stop mixing when the dough comes together in a stiff mass.

Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1-2 hours.

After chillage, split the dough in half and leave one half in the fridge while you work with the other half. Place the dough on a lightly sugared surface and place plastic wrap or parchment paper on the surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to a little over half an inch in thickness. 


With a cookie cutter of sharp knife, cut the dough into desired shape.


Using a flat edge or spatula, transfer the cookies to an ungreased cookie sheet or silicon baking mat.






Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Allow to cool on sheet or mat for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.

These turned out super well! They have that sandy, buttery shortbread texture with a rich, chocolatey taste.

Eat when the cookies are completely cooled with a glass of cold milk!




No comments: