Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pumpkin Madness!

Casper and I are quite content with the weather today.


It's Sunday, it's raining, I have a lot of homework, and I discovered about 15 minutes ago that I've lost my voice. Probably a result of all of the wild shenanigans that I'm taking part in up here in Minnesota. Thanks to all of this, I feel completely justified about staying in and being a pile.

To go along with the endearing gloom of the day, I wrapped myself up in a blanket and watched Jane Eyre while enjoying one of the delicious creations that I made earlier today.

Also, I bought 10 cans of organic puréed pumpkin the other day.

This recipe marks the beginning of Pumpkin Madness. Hope you're all as excited as I am!


Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Scones
adapted from Gluten Free Goddess

Makes 6-8 scones

Ingredients:

1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato (or tapioca) starch
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
4 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed

7 tablespoons of butter

1/2 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh cooked)
1 large egg
3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
3 tablespoons milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F

In a large mixing bowl whisk together dry ingredients. Cut butter into the mixtures using a pastry blender or your hands. Blend until the mix is sandy and no chunks are bigger than pea-sized. Set in the fridge while you mix the wet ingredients.

In a small mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, egg, syrup, and milk. Whisk together until combined.

Remove the dry mix from the fridge. Using a rubber spatula, gradually fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Continue folding until the mixture comes together. Do not over mix.

I found the dough to be a little sticky, so I formed my scones free hand by keeping my hands wet and patting the dough between my palms to create little disks. I made seven medium sized scones.

Place the scones an inch apart on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, or on a silicone baking mat. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown.

If you would like to frost or glaze your scones, the recipe above provides options. I thought they were delicious on their own.




Hope you enjoy these, there are many more pumpkin recipes to come this Fall!


No comments: