Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Most Underrated Dessert Ever

During my freshman year of college I was fortunate enough to experience New York City in the springtime. After what felt like the coldest, wettest winter ever, the city slowly shook off it's dark gloom and blossomed. When you walked through the streets you could feel this strong current of light and energy. Washington Square Park felt as if it was a living organism, supporting life that had been hibernating for months. I've never experienced anything remotely equivalent and I don't expect to.

I had a magical experience one spring evening. It was my favorite time out of the entire nine months I spent in New York, and it included a night at Veselka's. Veselka's is a Ukranian diner in the East Village, and sports a colorful crowd once midnight comes around. I've only been once, but I highly recommend stumbling in around 2 am if you're craving toast. 

To be completely honest, I don't recall much about the visit. I don't remember the conversations that were had, or how long we were there, or what their menu offered. But I remember the rice pudding.

At that moment in time, that rice pudding was the best thing I'd ever eaten. I believe a couple witnesses would claim that I didn't look up or put my spoon down until it was gone. 

I've tried many times to recreate the deliciousness I experienced that night, but I've come to accept that it's best to just hang on to that memory and be glad that I have it.

I've managed to come up with a recipe that is satisfying for myself, and I imagine it's quite a bit lighter (Veselka's definitely had some help from heavy cream).





Almost Perfect Rice Pudding
Serves 6

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked rice (short grain is best)
1 1/2 cup milk (2% or higher)
3 tablespoons agave nectar (can substitute 1/4 cup sugar)
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom 
1 teaspoon vanilla

dried fruit
toasted almonds

In a medium sauce pan combine milk, agave nectar, butter, vanilla, and spices over low heat. Stir in cooked rice and turn the heat up to medium. Once boiling, allow to boil for one minute before removing from heat.

If desired, stir in toasted almonds, dried fruit, or anything else that sounds good to you!

Good hot, warm or cold. I prefer cold. 

No comments: