Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Phileo Food

I suppose today was my first official day as an Augsburg "Auggie."

Even have an I.D. to prove it.

I left each class with a different opinion. French had me feeling like I was back in high school again, but I suppose that could be expected since it is a beginning course and all students are required to take a year of foreign language. My other courses have more upperclassmen, which was a relief.

The most rewarding feeling I had today was realizing that I was BORN to take philosophy.

The professor's entire lecture seemed as if it was tailored and edited specifically for me. I can honestly say I was bummed when the hour was up, but then I realized I'll get to return three times a week for the entire semester! I was amazed at how much of the subject matter has been frequenting my mind lately. Throughout the whole class I was thinking of someone who would have enjoyed and related to the conversation just as much as I did.

We discussed how wisdom and hope stem from philosophy, and how you must know thyself, your talents, your interests, and your hopes to gain what everyone is always in pursuit of: happiness.

"Human beings either face a challenge and grow stronger, or they allude the challenge and perish"
                                                                                     -Josef Pieper

Watch out everybody. I'll be dropping some knowledge this semester.



Made some delicious snacks the past two nights!


Thyme Roasted Carrots and Zucchinis with Goat Cheese

Anybody pick up on my love of goat cheese?

Ingredients:
1 carrot
1 zucchini
Salt
Pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 cup goat cheese crumblies

Preheat the oven to 400

Dice the carrot (peeled, if desired) and zucchini to fry-like slices and place in a large bowl with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Mix until the vegetables are evenly coated. Arrange on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, stirring half way through.

Sprinkle the thyme and goat cheese on top and serve!







What I made tonight was a repeat, but I cannot emphasize how delicious and easy this is! I'll include the link below.

This time around I omitted the orange zest and added a dash of cinnamon to the honey balsamic.

Try this before all the figs are gone!

Honey Balsamic Roasted Figs with Goat Cheese



Keeping my fingers crossed that my cooking gas bill isn't astronomical.

No comments: