Saturday, October 22, 2011

Vanilla bean scones? Yes, please.

There are many things that I'm learning to love about Minnesota; I get to wear sweaters for half of the year, people are awesome, and there's a coffee shop on every corner to accommodate my chai latte dependence. There's a lot to love up here.

The Mall of America is not a part of this.

Unless you would like to spend a solid hour of your afternoon circling the multiple levels of a parking garage, thinking you'll cry if you see one more seemingly available space that's occupied by a motorcycle, eventually stalking shoppers to their vehicles (who are actually going back to their car just to retrieve a stroller).

If "Raspberry Beret" hadn't been playing when I entered the connected department store I may have just turned around and opted for online shopping. But, my flats should have been thrown away a year ago (might still be wearing them right now), and the soles of my moccasins are just barely hangin' on. It was well past time to shop for some real shoes.

Today when I was in a dressing room I was reminded of my coffee alias. My name isn't necessarily difficult to pronounce, but since it's unusual it doesn't always register with people the first time around. Therefore, to save myself the trouble of spelling out my name to Starbucks baristas or dressing room attendants I used to always say my name was "Amy," or whatever I was feeling that day.

When I stated my real name to the girl at Urban Outfitters today I was greeted with a familiar mystified expression. Apparently I may need to bring back the alias, because today when I exited my individual dressing stall the door read "Karen?"

Question mark included. Seriously?

Today produced good things though; new boots and vanilla bean scones!

I cannot emphasize how incredible these scones are! It's a miracle that they aren't all gone by now. I was so in love with them I spent a good portion of my morning having a little photoshoot with them. For scones they're on the sweet side because of the glaze, so they're perfect in tiny little three-bite-biscuits.

I really recommend these!

Gluten Free Vanilla Bean Scones
adapted from my lavender scones
Makes about 10 little scones

1 1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch/flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cup half and half
1/4 cup lite coconut milk (the canned kind)
1 freshly scraped vanilla bean

1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly scraped vanilla
(1 teaspoon vanilla extract if you think it needs it)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, and sugar and set aside. Whisk together half and half, coconut milk, and vanilla bean scrapings. Keep in the fridge until you're ready to combine all ingredients.

Cut butter into dry ingredients with a pastry blender or your hands.

Pour vanilla milk mixture into the flours, folding in gradually with a rubber spatula. Mix until just combined. Dough will be a bit sticky.

Refrigerate dough for 15 minutes. Cover a surface with plastic wrap and spread dough out to an inch in thickness. Cut scones using a cookie cutter or the lip of a glass. Spread out evenly on a parchment covered baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Once the scones are cooled completely, mix together powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and drizzle over the scones.

If you're not sold yet, check out these photos:




See those little vanilla bean flecks? So good.




Need any more convincing?

2 comments:

Gluten Free Kitchens said...

These scones look delicious!

Galina said...

Thanks, Jenni!

The homemade marshmallows you made look awesome! Makes me crave s'mores.