Sunday, October 9, 2011

Nothin' like chili and corn muffins!

This one's a double recipe post!

Sundays are the best, but I feel as if they're even better in the fall. I started off my week nice and easy with some running, laundry, reading, PBS, and a little snooze with Casper. I have a lot to look forward to in the next month; my family (and Louie) will be coming up next weekend for my cousin's wedding, then I'll be off to visit friends in New York City at the end of October. There also may or may not be 29 days until my birthday...

I've already started perusing recipes for my cake.

Here's a great recipe for fall get-togethers with family and friends!


Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili
adapted from this recipe
Serves 4-6

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onions, chopped
2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
1 14 oz can kidney beans, rinsed
1 14 oz can black beans, rinsed
1 6 oz tin green chiles
1 14 oz can puréed pumpkin
1 tablespoon chili powder (more if desired)
1/2 tablespoon cumin
Cayenne pepper to taste
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

For serving: Cheese, cilantro, sour cream, the usual fixings

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot. Add onions, sauté for 5 minutes, then add bell pepper and garlic. Cook until tender, for another 5 minutes or so.

Add remaining ingredients and add spices as you taste test. Lower heat to a mild simmer and cook anywhere from an 1-2 hours.

(This would ideally be done in a slow cooker, but I haven't bought one for myself just yet!)

Serve nice and hot!


My camera died before I had the composition arranged the way I wanted it, but I can guarantee that this is delicious! I'm a bit of a wimp with hot stuff, so I had to keep a glass of cold milk handy.

Buckwheat Corn Muffins
adapted from Hodgson Mill
Makes 12 muffins

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F

Whisk together flours, corn meal, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.

In a small bowl combine eggs, butter, and milk.

Gradually fold the wet ingredients into the dry, whisking together until combined and clump-free. Batter will be on the thin side.

Fill a muffin tin with liners or greased cups 2/3 full with batter.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the little domed tops are golden brown.


Now all you need is family and maybe a football game!

No comments: