Saturday, October 8, 2011

I said "squash" too many times out loud and now it doesn't sound like a real word.

I know I'll regret saying this but, why are you so warm, St. Paul? I have no desire to wear shorts in October. Bring on the cold so I can snuggle up in sweaters and do less leg-toning exercises.

I'm becoming more aware of the truth to the saying "looking for a job is a full-time job." But, I won't despair. I'm truly amazed at the genuine kindness of some of the people I've encountered up here. Today, I took up my usual post over at Dunn Bros and shared a really nice conversation with the cafĂ©-goer sitting next to me. Everyone I've met here has gladly offered advice and promised to look out for potential opportunities for me. Someone even questioned if I would be interested in helping out with demolition jobs. I'm appreciative of all and any help, but I think I'll stick to making a mess of my own kitchen. 

The only thing I can say is: You rock, Minnesota. 

Kept things nice and simple for dinner tonight. Mostly because I spent a good portion of the afternoon cleaning my apartment and I wasn't quite ready to part with my sparkly, clorox-scented kitchen.

Acorn Squash  

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Slice squash in half width-wise and scoop out strings and seeds. Fill a baking dish or sheet with a little water until it just covers the surface. Arrange squash with the open side facing down.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.

Spread with a little butter and sprinkle some brown sugar on top. I also added a pinch of pumpkin pie spice.

Simple, but so good!


Making this reminded me of the acorn tree in the backyard of my grandmother's house. My Dad and I used to take a sharpie and draw little faces with handlebar mustaches on the acorns so they resembled little Frenchmen, with the caps serving as berets. I miss those visits to the farm!

No comments: