Monday, October 10, 2011

Oooo-de-lally

Mmmm.. molasses crinkles.

This recipe was a bit of a shot in the dark, but surprisingly a success!

The dough was pretty thin when I first mixed it all together, so I had to make some adjustments to the flour measurements. The batter was still thin, but I was able to form the cookies by letting the dough chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes. 

To get the nice crackled surface on the cookies, whack the baking sheet on the counter or stove after removing the cookies from the oven, causing the cookies to fall (Casper did NOT like this). 

Besides slamming metal sheets on my stove throughout the evening, I've also been whistling the intro to Disney's Robin Hood for a solid two hours now. I'm sure I'm becoming a favorite amongst the neighbors. 

At least I make the hall smell like cookies!

Gluten Free Ginger Molasses Crinkles
I was inspired by this recipe
Makes 10-12 cookies

1 cup white rice flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour/starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup molasses

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, and spices until uniform in color an well aerated. 

In a smaller bowl combine butter, brown sugar, molasses, and the egg. 

Fold wet ingredients into the dry using a rubber spatula. This may be easier with an electric mixer, but I like to build on my upper-arm strength.

Dough will be on the thin side. Refrigerate for 15 minutes and then form dough into balls (a little bit bigger than a golf ball). 

Arrange dough balls on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or a silpat. Flatten slightly with your hand or the bottom of a glass and sprinkle with sugar. Make sure the cookies are placed about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on how soft you want the cookies to be.



I'm putting these babies up on a high shelf in my pantry so I don't eat them all before my family gets here!


No comments: