Sunday, October 23, 2011

Raspberry Crumble in a Jar

So I had these raspberries in my fridge...

I usually associate raspberries with summer, but they were calling my name when I was browsing around at Trader Joe's last week. I thought I could pair them with some warm, fall flavors and make a nice crumble. But there wasn't enough to fill any of my glass baking dishes.

Jars are kind of a thing right now. I've been drawn to them as well. They're so multi-functional; they hold all of my gluten-free flours, I use them as drinking glasses, and they make lovely vases for the flowers I pick up from time to time.

Yes, I'm a fan of jars. But when I come across blogposts featuring cake baked in jars, I'm somewhat dubious. It's cake, not jam. A skeptic I may be, but when I opened my cupboard I realized one of my small Ball jars would be the perfect host for my crumble.

This recipe may seem like a novelty, but the crumble turned out delicious! I think these could be really fun at a party, or for when you just want a single serving of comforting goodness.

Raspberry Crumble in a Jar
Original recipe
Makes 1 serving (1 jar)

2/3 cup fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon millet flour
1 dash of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest

1 tablespoon millet flour
1 tablespoon oat flour
1/2 tablespoon tapioca starch
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, cold
1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a bowl, toss together raspberries, 1 tablespoon of millet flour, cinnamon, zest, and maple syrup.

In a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients. Cut butter in using a pastry blender.

Scoop raspberries into the bottom of a small jar, then cover with crumble topping.

Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crumble is bubbling and the top is golden brown.



No comments: