Monday, October 3, 2011

Gluten Free Cinnamon Scones

I'm happy to say that some of the weekend's awesomeness carried over into today!

As you all may know, I just moved to the Twin Cities about a month and a half ago after deciding to transfer colleges. The whole transfer process at school hasn't been super smooth, but I'm gradually working out the technicalities. I was finally granted credit for the entire spring semester of my freshman year, which is a huge relief because up until today I was considered a freshman at Augsburg. I definitely had a bit of a spring in my step since graduating on time is now possible and I can consider picking up a minor. I would be lying if I said I'm not considering studio art as a minor, but for the sake of my mom's sanity I'll look into some business classes.

Working out my transfer credits was great, but the best news of the day was being accepted to study abroad in January! It feels awesome because I definitely worked for it!

On top of everything I'm still coming off the high of having my post accepted on foodgawker yesterday. It was an exciting first, but I promise it won't be the last!

The scone recipe posted below is to die for. The kitchen smelled like a childhood favorite of mine; Cinnamoo ice cream from Maggie Moo's!

Gluten Free Cinnamon Scones
adapted from Celiac Teen
Makes 8 scones

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup white rice flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup agave nectar
2/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk until well combined and uniform in color. Set aside

In a small mixing bowl beat the egg, then add milk, agave and vanilla. Set in the fridge.

Cut butter into dry ingredients until chunks are no bigger than pea-sized.

Fold wet ingredients into dry using a rubber spatula. Mix until just combined and moist.


Dumb batter onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silpat. Shape into a round disk, about an inch in thickness.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the surface is golden.

Allow to cool, then slice the round into 8, triangular, delicious scones!




No comments: