Sunday, October 16, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I would just like to say that I am VERY thankful to be writing this post instead of my paper. Slapped a heading on that baby a little bit ago and I refuse to look at it again.

This weekend was busy and eventful but I loved every minute that I spent with my family. Yesterday was my cousin's wedding, which was whimsical and beautiful, just like Julia.

Congratulations to Julia & Alex Grill!

Of course cake was served at the reception, and I'm never disappointed about missing out on certain foods, but ever since I've been gluten-free I'll steal a little frosting off the top of my brothers' cake (sorry guys). I learned last night that this won't fly anymore. I suppose since moving to Minnesota I've created my own little gluten-free oasis, and since I almost never eat out I'm guessing that my intolerance has increased even more. I experienced the worst reaction to gluten intake last night! I just wanted to curl up in the fetal position because my stomach felt like it was being jabbed with knives. This was a serious bummer too, because I thoroughly enjoy making a fool of myself on the dance floor.

However, the night was far from ruined. We left the reception relatively early and my brothers came back to my apartment with me. We hung around, baked some cookies (posted below!) and watched the movie Casper.

My family (and Louie) left this afternoon and I miss them already! I'll see you all again before you know it!

I love Sundays, and today did not disappoint. I'm trying to soak up as much vitamin D as I can before the cold winter months arrive, so I went on a nice long run after my parents left. Afterwards, my day mainly consisted of writing a paper for my Intro to Lit class. It's not even that long, but I am ridiculously slow at writing papers. I will pick at a hangnail or look for split ends in my hair for a solid hour before I've even finished my introduction. I should really work on that.

A study break presented itself in the form of the fire alarm going off in my building around 7:00. A procession of four fire trucks arrived at our building, but no fire or anything was found thankfully. Casper was a little miffed to be out in the cold for half an hour, but it gave me a chance to finally meet some neighbors!

I had a lovely, but too-short skype session with Lilly, and now I'm wrapping up the night with this post! Not a bad weekend!

Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Gluten Free Goddess
Makes approximately 2 dozen



1 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour/starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3 1/2 cups certified gluten-free oats
1 cup chocolate chips (milk, dark, whatever you prefer)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Whisk together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, excluding brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs until smooth.

Gradually fold wet ingredients into dry, then add chips and oats.

I put the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking the cookies just so it was easier to form them, but this is optional.

Form into whatever size you desire, and bake from 12-15 minutes, depending on how soft you want the cookies.

After removing from the oven, allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.



I am exhausted! Good night, blog world!

No comments: