Monday, October 31, 2011

Dinner with New York's finest

I would have never guessed that my visit to New York would end with me sitting in the Stuyvesant dorms, hanging out in Syd's room, when I should be sleeping. I was most likely doing this exact same thing on this date a year ago.


This trip was much needed. Not only did I get to see all of my friends, but I also find myself feeling very reassured about the decision I made to switch schools last spring. One of the best parts about being up here is remembering that I'll soon return to my flour-dusted kitchen, to my own bed, to Casper. To the place that I would never have expected to end up in. But, Minnesota has offered new adventures, encourages my personal growth, and gives me a little shove when I'm feeling stuck.


Tonight was charged with the passion and motivation behind my love of cooking. Food is meant to be shared, and I was so happy to bring my friends together one last time before I leave. There was laughter, introductions, talk of the weekend's happenings. It was as if I never left New York, and yet when I took a look around it was obvious that much has changed.


My trip concludes with yet another all-nighter that involves LaGuardia. The super shuttle will be picking me up in approximately an hour, and then I'll board a flight to Milwaukee at 6:00 am, then to Minneapolis, then to class!


To all of my friends and new acquaintances, thank you for a wonderful weekend. I love you all!


Pumpkin Risotto
inspired by this recipe
Serves 4-6


2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups onion, diced
2 cups arborio rice
1 cup pumpkin purée (canned or fresh)
6-7 cups vegetable or chicken stock
6 tablespoons half and half
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped


Add olive oil to a large stock pot over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic until soft and translucent. Add rice to pot and stir until coated with oil. Continue to stir for a minute or two, then add pumpkin. Allow rice and pumpkin to cook for 3-5 minutes, making sure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.


Begin to add stock to rice, about one cup at a time. Once rice has absorbed all the stock, add another cup. Repeat this until rice is al dente. Stir in cream, spices, and cheese. Garnish with fresh sage.




Risotto with a side of arugula salad 
photographed by Syd Chan


Apple Cinnamon Spiced Cheesecake
inspired by this recipe
Serves 8

2 cups gluten-free gingersnap cookies (I used these)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
pinch of salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

3 packages cream cheese (8 oz)
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room temp
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon brown rice flour
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
3/4 cup apple cider
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 apples of your choice, cored, peeled, sliced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


For the crust, place cookies into a food processor and pulse until they're coarse crumbs. In a mixing bowl  mix together cookies crumbs, brown sugar, salt, and then butter. Crust should be moist, but hold form. Press into a springform pan, on the bottom and a little over an inch up the sides. Bake for 7 minutes and allow to cool completely.


In a stand mixer combine cream cheese and sugar. Mix until smooth, about two minutes. Add eggs one at a time, allowing then to fully incorporate with the mix before adding the next one. Add heavy cream and spice. Mix until smooth and uniform in color.


Pour the batter into the cooled, prepared crust. For a smooth, crack-free cake, prepare a water bath. Fill a pan with steaming hot water and place in the oven on a rack below the cheesecake.


Bake for 45-55 minutes. The edges should appear to be set, but the middle should have some jiggle to it. Once the cake reaches this point, turn off the oven and allow the cake to rest for at least an hour in the oven. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, refrigerate for at least four hours.


A few hours before serving, prepare apple topping. Mix together the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. In another bowl, sprinkle apples with the juice of lemon juice and toss. Melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in flours and stir for about one minute. Slowly whisk in the apple cider followed by the sugar and spice. Add in the apples and cook until slightly tender, for about five or six minutes, stirring constantly. Once apples have reached a desired texture and the sauce has thickened, remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Allow apple topping to cool completely before topping the cheesecake. Arrange apples on cheesecake and chill for at least one hour before serving.




My cake was a little sad looking due to the fact that I didn't get started on the baking until late and all my friends had places to be and homework to do. Still tasty though!


photographed by Syd Chan



Please excuse the dishes in the background. Counter space is limited in New York apartments!





No comments: