Monday, October 24, 2011

Honey Lavender Biscotti

The majority of my evening has been spent in my kitchen, baking with lavender, getting down with my Omaha roots by listening to my extensive Bright Eyes collection, rocking my favorite anthropologie apron.

In other words, tonight's awesome. 

Earlier today, I was tuning in to MPR and the DJ went off on a little tangent about Conor Oberst and how he's influenced the lives of most youths at one point or another. I smiled and remembered listening to LIFTED on nonstop repeat throughout the entire winter season of my junior year in high school. Like many other girls, I pined over the enigma that is Conor Oberst, swooning over his passionate lyrics and the vulnerable quaver of his voice. I even made up a little scheme in my mind of how we would meet;

Being from Omaha, Conor went to the same high school as my dad. I fantasized about living in New York, wearing my dad's old letterman jacket to some hole-in-the-wall bar where Conor just happened to stop by every once in a while. He would see me from across the room, and in that fateful moment realize that he no longer wanted a lover he doesn't have to love. Then we would fall deeply into obscure misunderstood love, enter a civil union (he doesn't seem like the marrying type), and adopt a bunch of rescued cats.

I never met Mr. Oberst when I lived in the city, and I'd say that I've moved on, but his broken voice in "Lua" still makes me exhale a little swoon-induced sigh.

I bet he would dig my baked goods.

Gluten-Free Honey Lavender Biscotti
adapted from this recipe
Makes around one dozen biscotti

3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup oat flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried culinary lavender
2/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons clover honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and lavender.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until smooth and uniform in color. Add vanilla, honey, and zest and whisk together.

Gradually fold the wet ingredient into the dry until the dough just comes together.

The dough will be on the sticky side. With wet hands, form the dough into a flat, rectangular log on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. The log should be a little over a half inch in thickness (with all the eggs it will rise quite a bit).

Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Once it's cool enough to handle, slice the log into biscotti. Should yield a dozen or more.

Lower the oven temp to 325. Arrange on a parchment covered baking sheet and return to the oven from another 15-20 minutes, flipping the biscotti after 7 minutes.

Surface should be browned and firm when they're done.



To the lovely ladies I'm staying with in Brooklyn this weekend: these are coming your way in just three days!




No comments: