Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sleepy Stew

My relationship with sleep has always been rather tumultuous. I remember being very young and crawling out from under my Disney princesses comforter and shuffling into the living room where my parents were, always having a different excuse for not being able to fall asleep. Usually once I'm asleep there's no issue, although that hasn't been the case recently.

For the past couple weeks sleep and I have been like oil and water. It's just not working. You know how sometimes when you're real sleepy you get an eye twitch? My right eye has been twitchin' up a storm for the past week. Probably won't attract new friends in my classes.

After an hour or so of tossing and turning last night I reached that small window of time when your body is asleep but your mind is just barely conscious, when I heard a loud "CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!"

I thought "INTRUDER!" I shot up into an upright position and started for the rolling pin I keep under the bed (appropriate, I know). This caused Casper, who was curled up on a throw blanket at the foot of the bed, to jump a couple feet in the air. Due to the fact that Casper isn't declawed, the throw blanket became air born with him and they tumbled to the floor in a fluffy heap.

It only took me 10 seconds to realize "Oh, it's the radiator..."

Sorry, Casper!

So, after another near-sleepless night I caught myself humming the tune "All I Do is Win" while I was walking to class today, except in my head I was singing "All I want is sleep, sleep, sleep no matter what."

I think it's time to cut myself off of caffeinated teas or I need to start napping regularly.

I got caught up in doing some new blog design at Dunn Bros tonight (what do ya think?) so I didn't get started on dinner until pretty late. Turned out pretty well though! Warm and spicy, perfect for this cold October night.

Butternut Squash Stew with Pepitas
adapted from this recipe
Serves 2-3



1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, diced
3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chipotle spice
1/2 cup toasted pepitas
Salt and pepper to taste

2 cups cooked quinoa (or any other grain)

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Once heated add squash. Cook for roughly 5 minutes on each side, or until squash has browned and is slightly tender. Once cooked, set aside.

Sauté onions and garlic in oil, for about 5-7 minutes. Add tomatoes (with juices), stock, cocoa powder, and spices. Simmer for approximately 5 minutes. Finally, add squash and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Serves hot over quinoa and garnish with pepitas. Enjoy!

No comments: