Monday, October 17, 2011

Hall and Oats

Welp, I've been a bit of a lump today.

It wasn't necessarily intentional, but I've had a hard time sleeping lately so I just haven't been bursting with energy.

After classes I was tempted to curl up with Casper and take a nap, but I fought the urge and walked down the street to the used bookstore. I didn't find the Aristotle book I was looking for, but I was happy to just browse through the shelves. I flipped threw a few baby name books because I always like to see if my name is listed, but I've only found it in a couple. Sure, they have Galatea and Geranium, but no Galina.

I didn't buy anything at the bookstore because I have plenty of books here at my apartment. Now that I'm done with Jane Eyre I think I'll move on to a book that was lent to me some time ago; A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines.

I had intended to bake something tonight, but upon investigating my flours I discovered that I'm running a little low on most of the gluten-free essentials. Here's what I threw together!

Also, Shauna Ahern of Gluten-Free Girl tweeted this link for an NPR article earlier today. It's an interesting read!

Spiced Oatmeal with Honey Roasted Figs
Serves 1

About 6 mission figs, quartered
1/2 tablespoon honey

1/2 cup certified gluten-free oats
1 cup water
1 dash cinnamon
1 dash cardamom
1 dash nutmeg

orange zest (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Arrange sliced figs on a sheet pan covered in foil. Drizzle with honey and roast for approximately 10 minutes.

Cook oats to package instructions. Once cooked, add spices and any other desired add ins.

Top with roasted figs. Enjoy!

No comments: