Saturday, October 15, 2011

Louie and Lasagna


Look who's back!

My apartment has never felt small to me, but with four extra people in it (and Louie) it definitely is cozy!



Not to mention trying to cook a meal for five people in my tiny kitchen with my tiny oven! Somehow, it worked!

As usual, my Dad instantly began surveying my apartment as soon as he arrived, seeing what needs to be fixed, updated, etc... walking around saying "add it to the list!"

Louie and my brothers are staying with me for the weekend while my parents and Nana stay at my uncle's. I got to do a little sib bonding with Will while making dinner and driving back from my uncles house last night. He even watched Project Runway with me. What a champ. I would have been spending time with Truman too, but he happened to buy some Bob Marley tea from Kowalski's which has a heavy dose of melatonin in it. I didn't even know you could sell something like that? As a result, he slept for a solid 14 hours on my couch.

I'm a little sleepy this morning thanks to Mr. Lou. I kept his kennel next to my bed for the night, which was a mistake. He snores louder than ANY creature I have ever encountered. It's not a soft, rhythmic snoring... it's just as violent sounding as it is inconsistent. He snorts all the time, but I had no idea how much it escalates once he slips off into puppy slumber.


This is how he eats. Such a serious job, it just can't be done standing up.

Here's the dinner I made last night! I made some gluten-free french bread also, but I wasn't 100% happy with the result so I'll tweak it before I post the recipe. 

I'll post the dessert I made soon!

Gluten Free Vegetarian Lasagna
adapted from this recipe
Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1 8 oz cans tomato paste
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
1 bag fresh spinach 
16 oz ricotta cheese
16 oz shredded mozzarella 
Fresh herbs: basil, thyme, rosemary (chopped)

About 12 gluten-free lasagna noodles (I used Tinkyada)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, sautéing into soft and translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until soft. Once mushrooms are cooked through, add tomato sauce and paste. Cook for approximately 10 minutes on low heat, then set aside.  

Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil and cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.

In a smaller skillet, wilt spinach over medium heat. Once all of the spinach has reduced and turned bright green, remove from heat and chop in a food processor (optional)

Once all elements are cooked and ready, begin assembling your pasta. Grease a 13x9 baking dish. Spoon tomato and mushroom sauce into the bottom of the pan, then cover with lasagna noodles. Spread spinach over noodles, then a layer of ricotta cheese. Place more noodles on top, and repeat process. Cover the top with mozzarella cheese and fresh herbs. 

Bake for 45 minutes and serve immediately




No comments: