Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Butternut Squash Hash

Things are definitely starting to pick up in my classes. I have a few papers coming up and just finished Jane Eyre about an hour ago. I wish I hadn't seem the movie before reading the book, but I really enjoyed it and it feels great to get back into reading!

Even though my homework load is getting heavier, I didn't want to be cooped up in my apartment all day. Particularly because the temperature lingered around 70 degrees all afternoon and the air was thick with the comforting smell of musty leaves. I was enjoying the afternoon and the final of chapters of Jane Eyre on a bench outside, where I watched a woman smoke seven cigarettes in a row. SEVEN. Madness. We all have our vices, but I've never been drawn towards that particular one. 

I love breakfast food, and the idea of waking up and making an elaborate spread. In reality, as soon as I wake up I can only muster up enough effort and brain power to reach for some gluten-free cereal. Therefore, breakfast for dinner usually occurs at least once a week.

This has been a week of hearty meals with the pumpkin chili I made and now this delicious hash!

Butternut Squash Hash
Serves 2

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 fresh garlic clove, minced
1 cup butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 cup potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 red bell pepper, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Add onions, sauté 5 minutes, then garlic, sauté another 5 minutes. Add potatoes and raise heat to medium/high, cooking for 5 minutes. Add butternut squash and cook for 10 minutes with the potatoes. Add red peppers, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until squash and potatoes are browned and tender. 

Simple, cheap, and tasty!





No comments: