Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gluten Free English Muffins

Where did the day go? I could have sworn I just got home from classes a bit ago. Time to get working on this post I guess!

My Tuesdays are a little different now due to an extra course that I'm attending as a notetaker. Augsburg offers services through the CLASS program to students with alternate learning styles or who have learning disabilities. I take specifically formatted notes for students in class so they are able to concentrate fully on the what is being said during the lecture. Originally I was only taking notes in my philosophy course, but I recently picked up another position. Now I sit in on Intro to Cinema on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Even though I won't receive credit for the course, it's pretty amazing that I'm able to be there and gain the knowledge while being paid. Now I can be a real smartypants with movies and show up all those darn hipsters.

The only downside to the extra class is that now on Tuesdays I'm on campus from 9:30 am until 5:00 pm. But I can't complain, today I hung out in the library and sipped on a chai while studying for my jazz midterm.

After classes I drove all around St. Paul looking for millet flour, but my quest yielded no results. The temperature dropped significantly today, so threw on a sweatshirt when I got home and made some delicious chana masala.

While cleaning up the mess, I realized that I've never used my toaster. That will change now that I made gluten-free english muffins! They're slightly more dense than store-bought, but still very satisfying.

Gluten Free English Muffins
adapted from Gluten Free Canteen
Makes approx 8 muffins

2/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup oat flour
1/3 cup sweet sorghum flour
1/3 cup millet flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 tablespoon cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 packet of yeast
1 large egg
8 oz water (115-120 degrees F)
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Do what you need to do to make your oven a little warm for the dough to rise. I turned mine to 150, then turned it off about 5 minutes before placing the dough in to rise.

Whisk together dry ingredients, including yeast, in a large mixing bowl.

Combine butter and water (yup, weird but recommended) in a bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds. If the water was originally luke warm it should now be around 115 degrees F. Add egg and whisk until slightly foamy.

Combine wet ingredients and dry. Dough will be sticky.

Now, for the best results the dough should be refrigerated overnight so it can rise. Naturally, I didn't have the patience for this, so I formed the muffins by keeping my hands wet and making little disks. I placed them on a silpat and placed them in the warm oven for 15 minutes. The dough should double in size.

Once risen, bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F. The dough should be slightly golden and the surface should be firm.

Transfer to a cooling rack.

These were perfect with the American Spoon jam that Lilly sent me over the summer! So good!

No comments: