Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fancy Fall Macaroni and Cheese

Today felt somewhat drawn out. Not necessarily in a bad way, it just feels like it should be later than it is.

This may be because Tuesdays and Thursdays I have an early morning class. Thankfully we had a sub professor in Jazz History today. That class has so much potential but it falls short every time. I actually found out earlier this week that I don't even need to be in a fine arts elective, which is a part of the core curriculum. Oh well. At least now I know that I prefer simply listening to jazz, rather than picking it apart until it's broken down to musical jargon. 

I've possessed a relatively clear mind yesterday and today, which has been hard to come by over the past month or so. I believe that one of the reasons why I've really taken to philosophy is because I have a never ending desire for knowledge and a better understanding of everything that surrounds me. As I assume it is for most individuals, the unknown is both exciting and daunting for me. Occasionally being able to paint a clear picture of how I perceive my own reality can be extremely relieving, even though I recognize that the composition will be distorted within a day or so. 

But, today has been a good day. Saint Paul grows more beautiful by the hour, with the crisp air and the multicolored trees ranging from bright green to deep crimson. I enjoyed a little game of finding the crunchiest leaves on the sidewalk and feeling them give underneath my boots as I walked over to Dunn Bros this afternoon. 

I should also add that the new Feist album is the perfect soundtrack for this time of the year.

I'm really proud of the recipe in this post! I may be getting the hang of this stuff.

Fancy Fall Macaroni and Cheese
Recipe from yours truly!

Serves 4-5

Ingredients:
1 pound of your preferred gluten free penne or elbow pasta
1 half of a large butternut squash, cooked and mashed (or 1 14oz can puréed)
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon brown rice flour
1 tablespoon sorghum flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon allspice (more if you like)
1 teaspoon paprika (more if you like)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cheese, grated or chopped finely (I used gouda because it bakes nicely)
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped

Other potential add ins: breadcrumbs (wish I'd had some!), pancetta or bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook pasta until al dente, set aside. (When timing this process, take into consideration that some gluten free pastas can become gluey once you strain the pasta. Don't let it sitting out cold for too long.)

In a large sauce pot, heat butter over medium/low heat. Once melted add flours and starch, whisk until chunk-free. Cook for 1 minute, then add milk, maple syrup, and spices. Cook until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes or less. Add mashed butternut squash, stirring until relatively smooth (it's ok if its a little chunky, you can just call it "rustic"). Add cheese and cook until melted. Salt and pepper to taste. 

Add pasta, cheese sauce, and sage to a baking pan, and mix until the pasta is evenly coated. Sprinkle top with leftover cheese, sage, and breadcrumbs if you have 'em.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the mac and cheese is bubbling with deliciousness. 



No comments: