Thursday, December 1, 2011

Whole Grain Muffins

Casper's "Please don't tell me you wore your hair like that to classes" face.



I'm currently enjoying my weekly "me" time.

That sentence sounds kind of ridiculous, because I'm currently living a somewhat solitary life. By choice, for the most part.

Every Thursday I have jazz history from 9:40 to 11:10 am, then I have a little over two hours until the cinema course that I sit in on as a notetaker. After jazz I walk over to Starbucks, get myself a chai, then walk down to the basement of the Augsburg library where I settle down into my own little dimly-lit nook. Now that it's cold out, I even make myself a little nest with my coat and scarves. During this time I take a break from school and just do whatever I want. Sometimes I read. If I'm sleepy I'll listen to my iPod and rest. But, I usually end up browsing my favorite food blogs and searching for my own inspiration.

Today, after getting settled in, I read Shauna James Ahern's latest blog post. Everything about her is inspiring to me; her writing, her food, her genuineness. I found myself thinking about where I'm at right now. I'm near the end of the first semester of my sophomore year in college, and I know that the next two and a half years will pass before I can blink twice.

I love my major; it fulfills my constant hunger for a better understanding and knowledge that can only be found within one's self. However, career wise I'm kind of on my own after graduation. I do love what I'm doing with this blog and the personal discoveries I'm making in gluten-free cooking and baking. But could this be a career? I do love writing, especially when I push myself to take it seriously. Above anything and everything I love my friends and family, and I love bringing them together. As far as potentially starting my own business someday, I haven't been able to develop a solid prediction of how that would go. I suppose the only way to know would be to give it a try. I do love a good challenge, and I think starting something for myself would be appropriate.

I'm an oldest child. I am nothing if not independent and strong-minded.

And now, I will proceed to do one of my favorite activities: make a grocery list!

Spiced Whole Grain Muffins
adapted from Gluten-Free Girl

81 grams sorghum flour
81 grams millet flour
81 grams brown rice flour
70 grams tapioca starch
35 grams potato starch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 eggs, beaten
300 grams buttermilk
100 grams grapeseed oil
180 grams brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1/3 gluten-free rolled oats for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Whisk together flours, starches, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, oats, and salt.

In a separate bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, and brown sugar.

Using a rubber spatula, fold wet ingredients into dry until they just come together. Fold in walnuts.

Fill a paper liners or a greased muffin tin 3/4 full. For mini muffins, bake for 20-25 minutes. For regular sized, bake for 25-30 minutes.

The little guys.


These are super good! And a nice canvas for any other kind of dried fruits or nuts.




Happy December, everyone!

2 comments:

LoriB said...

Oh, you're much, much more than independent and strong-minded! (but you are that, too! : ) You're an extremely talented young woman who can accomplish anything you choose to.

Love you! Mom

BeckyC said...

Keep listening to that inner voice! It sounds like it is guiding you in the right direction. The muffins look great, by the way. Can't wait to try them!