Friday, December 2, 2011

Mushroom Risotto

I'm currently having the same debate with myself that I have every day after working in the morning: To nap, or not to nap?

Then again, that is the question that all college students face daily.

When I left for work this morning, I walked out of my apartment building and to the corner of Syndicate before realizing I hadn't changed out of the sweats that I slept in.

That's when I knew today was going to be a rough one.

I frequently face a bit of a personal dilemma in my philosophy course. I find that when I'm tuning into the brilliance of my professor's lecture, I take the course material and begin to process it and apply it to my own life, all while the professor moves on through the lecture. Since I'm paid to take notes in that class, I can't afford to space off. Even in a philosophical manner. But, on days like today when I strike psychological gold, it's tough to force my attention back to the professor. Now that I think about it, I do my best analytical thinking when I'm in class, watching movies, or trying to sleep. Come on! Why can't it happen at a more convenient time?

I might need to establish a thinking spot. Maybe Winnie the Pooh will share his with me.

Time to get crackin' on this risotto!

Mushroom Risotto
adapted from GF in the City
Serves 4... maybe 3 because this is delish and you're going to stuff your face

Risotto is awesome. You can stir away all of your problems.


1.5 ounces of dried mushrooms (I used a variety of shiitake, oyster, and cremini)
2 cups of warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small shallot, chopped
Kosher salt
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 cup arborio rice
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup milk or half and half
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving

In a medium sized bowl, add dried mushrooms and warm water. Allow the mushrooms to reconstitute for at least 30 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the water, but preserve the mushroom stock. Pat dry, give them a rough chop, and set aside.

Add chicken stock to a medium sized sauce pan. To keep warm, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.

In a large stock pot, add olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and salt. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Once garlic and shallots are cooked through, add dry rice. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the rice gets a nice little toast, but stir frequently because burnt rice is no bueno.

Begin to add the chicken stock, one ladle-full at a time. Once rice has absorbed all liquid, add another ladle. Stir frequently and consistently. After cooking for 10 minutes, begin adding mushroom stock. Once rice has absorbed all mushroom stock, switch back to adding chicken stock. Cook rice until al dente. Right when you think the rice is ready, add milk/half and half, then parmesan cheese.

Garnish with cheese and serve hot.

I caught myself saying "Damn, I can cook," so you know it's good.

No comments: