Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Rustic Apple Cake

Like many other students across the nation, I'm in the midst of finals.

The symptoms of finalitis are clearly displayed: my not-so-clean hair is in a knot on top of my head. My sweater sleeves are still crusted with fondant icing from work this morning. If you look closely you'll see that I have forgone make-up, even though my tired eyes could use it. My head repeatedly dips down as my eyes begin to close, and then jerks back. The hand that is clutching an ever-present coffee mug is slightly shaky.

I'm a mess, and not a hot one. 

To pull myself out of the stress-induced craze, I keep thinking about all of the time I'll spend making fabulous baked goods and delicious dishes over the break. 

I'm thinking about entering a gingerbread house contest next week, too!

To those who are done with finals, I envy you. To those who still have a week or so to go, I feel for you.

Rustic Apple Breakfast Cake
original recipe
makes on 9 inch round

During a break from studying, I danced around to some Prince and whipped up this cake batter. I'm not completely satisfied with the results, but I'd definitely like to try it again sometime.


2 apples, sliced thinly and tossed in lemon juice
3/4 cup almond meal (I don't recommend Bob's Red Mill)
1/3 cup millet flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons, room temp
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
Seeds of 1 vanilla bean pod
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Whisk together almond meal, flours, and baking powder.

In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar and butter until smooth and creamy. Whisk in eggs, vanilla bean, and buttermilk.

Fold wet ingredients into dry using a rubber spatula. Arrange sliced apples.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.

No comments: