Sunday, December 25, 2011

Noel

Well, here we are.

Louie and I are currently sharing some breakfast; I'm having a banana and he's gnawing on a bone.

Breakfast of champions.

After a long and early day at the bakery yesterday, I was hoping that I'd get to sleep in a bit this morning...

That wasn't going to fly with this one.


Despite an exhausting shift, Christmas Eve was pretty fantastic! My family arrived around four in the afternoon. Whenever they're here it seems as if my apartment shrinks in size. My brothers, who have now surpassed me in height, flop around in a fashion that makes it sounds like there are ten additional people in the room.

Dad's making bad jokes and attempting to get me to watch the trailer for The Hobbit, Mom is pointing out my missteps in cleaning the apartment, and the boys are being true 8th graders by rolling their eyes at every other word my parents say.

The gangs all here!

Rosemary Chicken with Baked Apples
adapted from Elana's Pantry
Serves 4-5

Hey, I roasted a chicken!


It was pretty good, too.

This was really simple. All I did was gave the chicken a little massage with rosemary butter, placed it over four sprigs of fresh rosemary in the pan, drizzle balsamic vinegar and grapeseed oil over it, then stuff cored and sliced apples around the edges. Bake at 350 for an hour and a half to an hour and forty-five minutes. 

The menu also included garlic mashed potatoes, oven roasted carrots, and some rolls from the bakery (for the non-gluten-free side of the family).

This certainly wasn't traditional by any means, but I'm so happy that my family is up here and I'd say that last night was a success!

No comments: