Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cutouts!

The holidays are such an ideal time for food blogging.


He's happy because he's gluten-free!

This weekend has been consumed with finals preparation. But, it's actually been pretty fun! Yesterday, Hill came over and we spent the afternoon at the blue table. Once again, she was being studious while I was cooking and getting my arts & crafts on. Finals are important... but so is having a pretty Christmas tree. 

(Mom and Dad - that last sentence actually reads "Just kidding, I've been studying for 48 hours straight!")

I spent most of today around my apartment; doing some cleaning, a little laundry, making some cookies, turning my kitchen into an icing-covered mess. 

The usual stuff.

In the late afternoon I made my way over to Augsburg to meet up with people from my literary study class. I had never studied in a large group like that before. It was pretty awesome! And very entertaining, since everyone is running on empty with finals. Pronouncing "stichomythia" or "iambic pentameter" correctly proved to be too difficult for all of us. 

We're going to kick that final right in the tush.

Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cutouts
adapted from Food Network

I need to begin by admitting that this recipe is NOT perfected. I'm still working on my gluten-free conversion skills. 


Chubby little guys, but pretty darn adorable! 

The dough spread A LOT when I baked them. And it was super sticky! I actually had to roll out the dough on parchment paper, cut out the shapes, peel the excess off, and the bake the cutouts on the same parchment paper because I couldn't scrape them off the floured countertop.

The taste was great, though! I brought them to our study session tonight and everyone was very complimentary. 

1 1/2 cup almond flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon baking soda (maybe less since mine spread so much?)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
8 tablespoons butter, room temp
1/4 cup vegetable shortening, room temp
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup molasses
1 large egg
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, starch, baking soda, xanthan gum, spices, and salt. Set aside. 

Using a stand or hand mixer, combine butter and shortening. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and cream until incorporated. Beat in molasses and egg. 

Fold wet ingredients into dry using a rubber spatula. Once combined, separate dough in half, pat into two disks, wrap in plastic and chill for at least three hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut desired shapes. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them!

Decorate with royal icing.


These guys were a test run for the gingerbread house I'm going to attempt to make this week!







No comments: