Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom!

This post is dedicated to my lovely and wonderful mother!

I still owe you for all of my tantrums in grocery stores as a toddler, locking myself in the bathroom at my own birthday party, and for supporting my ever-changing hobbies, from fencing to the bass guitar. And so much more. A batch of biscuits or scones will never truly represent my appreciation for you, but that won't stop me from trying!

I love you, Mom!

Gluten-Free Buckwheat Fig Scones
adapted from the wonderful 101 Cookbooks
Makes 12 scones

1 cup GF buckwheat flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 stick unsalted butter, ice cold
1 1/4 cup half and half

I used Trader Joe's Fig Butter for the filling, because it was in my parents fridge and I haven't seen fresh figs around in a while. But if you have access to them, here's 101 Cookbooks recipe for a delicious fig butter!


Like a fig newton. But gluten-free. And more awesome.


Whisk together flours, starch, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and cinnamon. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or your fingers. Cut until the chunks are no bigger than a pea. Using a rubber spatula, fold the cream into the dry/butter mix. Fold until the dough just comes together.

Dust a surface with brown rice flour and plop your dough down on it. Dough will be sticky, so flour your hands or get them wet and press the dough into a rough rectangle. Then, flour a rolling pin and roll your dough into and 8 inch by 14 in slab, about 3/4 inch in thickness. Spread fig butter over the entire surface of the slab.

Now, begin rolling the 14 inch side of the dough. If the dough sticks to the surface, try dipping a spatula in flour and gently separating the dough from the counter. Tightly roll the dough until it is a long log. Cut in half with a large knife and transfer the two logs to a baking sheet, cover in plastic wrap, then chill for at least half an hour.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Take the chilled logs and cut each one into six wheels, using a sharp knife. Place on a parchment paper covered baking sheet, at least an inch and a half apart.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. Best eaten warm from the oven!


Scandalous.

No comments: