Saturday, November 26, 2011

Banana Pumpkin Bread

Man, I'm not used to so much social interaction. I have been wiped out the entire time I've been home!

Today I slept in and stayed in my pajamas well into the afternoon, and it was lovely. I did a few loads of laundry that I've been neglecting for some time now, ran some errands, then got some sushi with my parents. I must say, eating out has been an anxiety-inducing experience for me these days. Now that my gluten sensitivity is at it's peak, I always feel very nervous about everything I eat in restaurants. However, after working in restaurants and customer service for over five years, I really dislike it when people make a big fuss when eating out. 

Blergh.

After dinner we went over to my aunt and uncle's house, where my cousins are staying while they're in town. When it comes to playing and interacting with kids, I'm usually at a loss. Tonight, my little three-year-old cousin, Sarah, asked for an apple and my aunt said, "Well, I should cut that up for you, shouldn't I?" I would never think about that. I also have to make a conscious effort to not scratch their heads like I would with Casper or Louie. But, I think I did alright tonight. Managed to play a very short game of hide and seek, built a kick-ass lego house, and put together a Little Mermaid puzzle. 

The rest of the night was filled with lots of laughter, brought on by looking through old pictures. I should have grabbed some of the embarrassing ones of my brothers to show their future girlfriends. Eh, I'm sure my parents will do a thorough job of humiliating them.

Here's a recipe for all of those leftover cans of pumpkin in your pantry!

Banana Pumpkin Bread
original recipe
makes one loaf

1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca or potato starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum 
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 medium ripened banana, mashed
1 cup pumpkin purée
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.

In a separate bowl, combine banana mash, pumpkin, grapeseed oil, eggs, sugars, and vanilla. Whisk or beat until smooth.

Fold wet ingredients into dry using a rubber spatula. Mix until just combined.

Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes. 


Healthier than that pecan pie that's been tempting you!



No comments: