Thursday, November 24, 2011

Why can't the house smell like sage all year round?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Anyone else super stuffed and super sleepy?

I'm just sitting in the living room of my parents house in Omaha, snuggling with the puppies and watching Food Network. And let me tell you, it is glorious.

I arrived at my parents house around 8:30 last night. Casper meowing for the entire duration of the trip added to my relief of finally being home. Each time I come back to Nebraska it feels less and less like home, and this trip is no exception. But, home is where my family is, and it's so great to be with them.

Other than some frustrations with my gluten-free pie crust and difficulty with the oil temperature for frying the turkey, everything was smooth sailing! We had an interesting but wonderful mix of family at our house, and plenty of helping hands in the kitchen. 

Just keepin' an eye on the turkey.
Someone's tired of waiting for dinner.


Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits with Sage and Gruyere 
adapted from Celiac Teen

1 cup millet flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup white rice flour
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, ice cold
1 1/4 cup buttermilk 
1/3 cup sharp cheese (cheddar, gruyere)
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together all dry ingredients. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until chunks are no bigger than pea-sized. Add dairy and fold until the dough just comes together. Fold in cheese and sage.

I chilled my dough for half an hour so it was easier to form the biscuits. Form dough into a 1-inch-thick rectangle. Cut into squares and place on a parchment covered baking sheet or silpat.

Bake for 10-15 minutes.

These were a hit with the family!

Cranberry Pear Crumble
inspired by Williams-Sonoma
makes one 9x13 pan

This was originally going to be a pie, but I experienced some difficulties with my crust. Good thing though, because I think this was destined to be a crumble! 

This is going to make an awesome breakfast tomorrow.

3 lbs ripe pears, peeled and sliced thinly
10 oz fresh cranberries
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon cornstarch 
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 cup millet flour
2 teaspoons brown rice flour
1 tablespoon white rice flour
1 tablespoon sorghum flour
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
7 tablespoons butter, cold
3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (or more)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Toss pears and cranberries in brown sugar, sugar, spices, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.

In a mixing bowl, combine flours, starch, sugar, nuts, and oats. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or your hands. Once the chunks are no bigger than pea-sized, sprinkle over the pears and cranberries.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until bubbly and browned on top.




Thank you to my family who were here, who follow my blog, and to all of you! I love you all very much.

No comments: