Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Raspberry Pecan Scones

Today felt very long. Blergh.

But my spirits are high because tomorrow I start my new job! I'm not going to reveal where yet because I'm afraid of jinxing it, but I'm really excited. Waiting for the right opportunity to come along definitely paid off!

Have to get cracking on my homework because my day starts at 6:00 am tomorrow. But first I'm going to treat myself to one of these scones and the latest episode of How I Met Your Mother.

Hope you all have a lovely evening!

Raspberry Pecan Scones 
Original recipe!
Makes approximately 10 scones

3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup white rice flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup butter, ice cold
1 cup fresh raspberries, quartered
3/4 cup raw pecans, chopped


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.


In a large mixing bowl whisk together flours, starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. 


In a separate bowl combine maple syrup, milk, egg, vanilla, and zest. Set in the fridge until ready to incorporate with dry ingredients

Cut in nearly frozen butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender. Once chunks are no bigger than pea-sized fold in wet ingredients. Once everything is just combined, gently fold in raspberries and pecans.

Spread dough onto a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or a silpat. I formed mine into a rectangle, chilled it for 15 minutes in the freezer, then cut the dough into triangles and arranged then an inch apart from each other.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges.




This isn't a good photo, but the scone reminded me of an alligator's head.



Casper's favorite part of birthdays = wrapping paper

No comments: