Sunday, November 27, 2011

French Macarons!

I'm back in Saint Paul, sitting at my blue table once again. My trip to Omaha was much needed, but it was pretty nice to curl up with some tea on my own couch tonight. With Louie and Violet constantly chasing after one another, my parent's house was not at it's most peaceful state.

This trip to Omaha differed from previous ones. Outside of my family, it felt as if Omaha doesn't have much to offer me anymore. It appears that my time is finally up there. With that attachment severed, I suppose I'm free to establish myself wherever I desire to. I do love living in Saint Paul, but it is still missing certain elements. My friend, Lilly, and I have dreamed up a plan of moving to northern California after graduation and getting two cats; Cardamom and Coriander. Since my philosophy degree won't point me in any specific direction, I could take the minimal knowledge of the french language I possess and go to pastry school in Europe.

For the first time in a long time there isn't a single person or thing that is steering me in any particular direction.

I think I like it.



I may have no absolute direction in life, but I can make a french macaron, damnit. 


I did it!

I'm not going to provide exact ingredients or instructions yet because this was my first success. I will say that I believe I baked the shells for a bit too long, because my unsuspecting father bit into one and the shell cracked and exploded all over the place. 

Sorry, Dad. 









I will provide some details about what I did/didn't do.

1. I aged my egg whites at room temp for approximately 48 hours.
2. I added 5 grams of egg white powder to the egg whites.
3. I used a hand mixer to produce the meringue. 
4. I allowed the piped shells to sit at room temp for 45 minutes before placing them in the oven.

Next time I would like to buy/make a better almond flour. I sifted some Trader Joe's almond meal until it was very fine, but I didn't like the little flecks of brown almond skin. 

Even though these macaron's shells are only flavored with vanilla bean with a buttercream filling, I experimented with food coloring. I didn't intend for them to be a sea foam green. Next time I'll probably add more coloring. 

I also had a lot of assistance from Cannelle et Vanille and this tutorial. Also from my wonderful mother!


This little cutie didn't get much of an introduction this week.


This is Violet, Louie's sister. Though you wouldn't know it by looking at them because she's about ten pounds lighter than Louie. She doesn't live with us anymore, but was visiting while her family was out of town. I love her brother, but Violet is definitely a superior snuggler. 

1 comment:

Savorique said...

You did great! And you shared the most important tips/tricks to succeed in making macarons.
I find it also very important to have a visual idea of what the batter should look and feel like. Here is a good 6 min video http://blog.savorique.com/2011/05/two-of-the-best-french-macaron-recipes/