Thursday, November 3, 2011

Maple Nut Oat Scones

In case anyone hasn't noticed, I've developed a thing for scones.

When I have a rough day I get through it by remembering days like today. As soon as I pull the strings of my apron tight feelings of calmness and relief wash over me. Tonight I danced around my kitchen with a mixing bowl in one hand and a whisk in another, listening to Florence's latest album. Flo really stepped it up this time around! My macbook speakers can hardly handle her vocal prowess.

Now it's time to iron my Power Slacks because I have myself an interview in the morning!

Maple Oat Nut Scones
adapted from kumquat
makes 8 scones



Yes, I've made a lot of scones in the past couple months. I can't help it! I love what they've got going on. I'm tempted to say that this is the best scone recipe I've made, with it's nuttiness and subtle hint of maple. All the scone recipes on this blog are winners, but these ones are mighty tasty.

I converted the recipe from grams, so the measurements are a little funky.

4 teaspoons ground flax meal
4 teaspoons hot water
1 heaping cup gluten-free rolled oats, coarsely ground in a food pro or blender
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (this may not be necessary)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons ice cold butter
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup half and half
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small bowl mix together hot water and flax. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine flours, starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk until uniform in color.

In a smaller mixing bowl whisk together eggs and brown sugar until smooth. Add half and half, maple syrup, and vanilla. Whisk until combined and place in the fridge until ready to incorporate into the flours.

Add the butter to the dry ingredients by cutting it in with a pastry blender or your hands. Make sure no butter chunks are bigger than pea-sized.

Pour wet ingredients and flax into the dry ingredients. Fold in nuts. Mix until it just comes together. On a parchment lined baking sheet, form the dough into an 8 inch round by wetting your hands, or lightly dusting the dough with flour. Chill for half an hour (or 10 minutes in the freezer if you're impatient like I am).

Cut the round into 8 wedges. Separate on the baking sheet so they are an inch or two apart. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Allow to cool then drizzle with glaze (optional).

Maple Glaze

1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons milk (more or less)
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Combine all ingredients and mix until you reach a desired consistency (not too runny, not too thick).




2 comments:

LoriB said...

Mmmm... Hope you have some left for me tomorrow! Love you GB! see you in the afternoon.

LoriB said...

Mmmm... Hope you have some left for me tomorrow! Love you GB! see you in the afternoon.