Saturday, November 19, 2011

Snow, Studying, Starbucks, and Sandwich Bread

All of the rooftops outside of my windows are covered in a 3-inch blanket of fluffy snow. I knew it was coming. But, that doesn't make it any easier once it does.

I'm going to need to toughen up, because this is only the beginning.

I spent the day with my best friend from Omaha, Hillary. Even though we're entirely different people from when we met in 6th grade, I love getting to see her. It doesn't seem like it's been that long since we were driving in my car for the first time, going to the Cheesecake Factory for our 16th birthday dinner. She's known me throughout all of my horrible nicknames, unfortunate outfits (let's not forget the peacoat incident of 2007), and my ever-changing hobbies and interests. Despite it all, she's stuck around.

We spent the day over here in Saint Paul doing homework (alright, I was browsing through recipes for a good deal of it). When it comes to school she is by far the hardest working student I've ever known and I have a lot of respect for her. But it also makes me feel relieved that I'm not majoring in anything science related!

The falling sleet and snow has made the sidewalks and streets pretty icy, which made driving and walking anywhere relatively treacherous. If this is a preview of what driving in the Twin Cities in the winter is like, I may need to invest in a bus pass.

Gluten-Free Vegan Sandwich Bread
recipe by Ali at the Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen
makes one loaf




2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 packets active dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
1/3 cup honey, agave nectar, or maple syrup
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
1 cup millet flour
1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
1/2 cup sweet white rice flour
1 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch
2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 teaspoons kosher salt

In a small bowl, combine water, sugar, and yeast. Whisk together well. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to proof.

In a large bowl combine flours, starches, xanthan gum, and salt. Gradually pour the yeast mixture into the dry ingredients. Whish well to keep lumps from forming. Mix for a minute or so until the batter thickens.

Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and spread until even. Place the pan in a warm space for forty minutes to an hour to allow the dough to rise. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Once the dough has doubled in size, place in the oven for 50-55 minutes. After removing from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.


So perfect toasted with a layer of the jam Lilly gave me last summer!

No comments: