Sunday, November 20, 2011

Fools.

Oh hey, winter.

Considering how often people discuss time and how it's constantly slipping through our fingers, you'd think we would eventually come to terms with its pace. Yet, each time I look at the calendar I always catch myself thinking "Seriously? It feels like I just moved here last week." But this isn't an original topic. Everyone gets freaked out by time. It's hard not to when you catch yourself dating a paper "9/12/2011" when it's actually November. Even worse, writing the wrong year. 

If I close my eyes I can remember all of the details of my high school graduation. I wore an outfit that caused an ongoing argument with my mother, with heels that were all wrong for the season. I remember the drink I got from Starbucks on my way downtown, then regretting ordering a grande as I squirmed in my folding chair. I had my iPod in my pocket under my gown, with the earbuds covered by my hair so it wasn't detectable (there were 800 names to be called, cut me some slack). I titled the playlist "I'm graduating, fools." The two guys I was sandwiched between were high as kites and flicked my tassel and proceeded to giggle several times throughout the ceremony. I remember squinting in the sun while posing for pictures outside and hugging people just because we had a class together in 7th grade. 

That was a year and a half ago. Since then I've altered the course of my life entirely. 

I'm not sure where I'll be in another year and a half, but I do know that I have a cardamom cranberry loaf in the oven and another paper to write. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week, and I hope that you're lucky enough to spend it with family and loved ones. 

No comments: