Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gingerbread Granola

Oh, what I would give to be snuggled up on the couch with Casper right now.

Instead, I'm camped out in the Augsburg library, attempting to get some work done while waiting for 5:30 to come around so I can go to my abroad orientation.

I hadn't even sensed the end of the semester approaching, but after the past few days I'm ready for it to arrive! I apologize that I haven't been as consistent with postings. To be honest, I haven't even had time to grocery shop since I came back from Omaha. Last night I stayed up later than I had planned just so I could catch up on doing my dishes.

Thank goodness for family and friends. One of my few energy sources has been the wonderful turkey and rice soup that my mom sent home with me. Without it I would probably be running on handfuls of dry cereal, due to the fact that I'm out of milk.

A nice skype session with Lilly last night gave me a chance to take a breath and just laugh. She's by far the most supportive, nonjudgmental person that I've ever had the pleasure of calling my friend. I'd like to personally thank the person or computer who assigned the two of us to 11J2 last year.

Thanks to an extended due date on my lit paper, I think I'll be able to stop by Trader Joe's after this abroad meeting. Hopefully Casper won't be too upset with me when I finally return.

Gingerbread Granola
makes approximately 5 cups
original recipe!

3 cups certified gluten-free rolled oats
3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup coconut or grapeseed oil
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, spices, flax, and salt.

In a separate bowl combine oil, molasses, and sugar.

Fold wet ingredients into dry.

Spread over a large parchment covered baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, remove and stir in dried fruit and nut, then continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes. Keep a close eye on it because granola burns quickly and easily!

No comments: