Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Blergh.

Ever since I moved up here I've been searching for a job, and the search is getting progressively more desperate. Can't afford stupidly expensive gluten free flours when I'm unemployed.

This afternoon I had an interview at a coffee shop in downtown Minneapolis.

AND I KILLED IT.


This is how it wrapped up:


"Well Galina, it's been a pleasure interviewing you. I would say that you're our ideal candidate for this position"


Yup. I came, I spoke, I conquered.


"I would love to hire you on the spot..."


I CAN BUY A GARLIC PRESS


"But..."


...


"Your school schedule interferes with the shift hours we're looking to fill. We would love to talk to you when your schedule opens up more."


Blergh.


So, if anyone wants to give me a job, all offers are welcome! I can cook!


I decided to de-stress by making risotto and stirring up a storm.





How am I managing to get worse at photographing food?

I discovered risotto once I switched over to a gluten free diet. So delicious! Can be heavy and starchy though, so some see it as more of a cold weather dish.

Easily fixed by adding summer veggies, lemon zest and omitting heavy cream!

Summer Risotto
Serves 3-4 entree sized portions.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
4-5 cups vegetable stock
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion
2 cloves fresh garlic
1/2 cup of white wine
1 lemon
1/2 lb asparagus
1 small zucchini 
1 ear of fresh corn
2 tablespoons fresh basil
1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
Salt
Pepper

Heads up: Multitasking is not easy to do while making risotto. Make sure you're able to focus on stirring the rice. Turn off the Food Network.

1. In a medium sauce pan bring stock to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Leave on the stove on a back burner while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. Dice the onion into small pieces and mince the fresh garlic cloves. Sauté in a large pot with two tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Cook for approx. 3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
3. Add rice to the pot and stir for 3 minutes.
4. Add wine and lemon zest. Stir until rice has absorbed the wine. 
5. Once wine is absorbed, begin stirring in the stock into the rice, using a ladle. Pour in one ladle full, stir until the rice has absorbed the stock, and then pour in another ladle full. Repeat until the rice is tender, but still has body. (Stir frequently enough so the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot)

While the rice is absorbing the stock, chop the zucchini and asparagus in uniform pieces so they all cook evenly. Sauté in olive oil on medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.

Chiffonade the basil and grate the parmesan cheese.

Once the rice has absorbed all the stock, stir in the veggies. Add cheese, basil, and salt and pepper if desired.

Serve hot!





No comments: