Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I POACHED AN EGG

Today was a little more triumphant than the past few days have been. It's about time.


I spent a good deal of the morning and just about all of the afternoon with Hillary, one of my best friends from Omaha who goes to the U of M. We went to the Mall of America with her friend Erin. Malls stress me out in general, but the Mall of America definitely takes the cake for anxiety-producing-shopping. Too many stores, too many children running loose, and too many kiosks with men chasing after me with a hair straightener. Thanks, but no thanks.


But I had a great time seeing Hill and Erin and by the time I came back to my apartment I was ready for a nice long nap. Casper was pretty happy about that.


I realize that this blog could use some serious polishing, but hopefully as I continue to cook, write, and photograph I can only get better at this. Maybe. How am I expected to have all of this organized when I'm attempting to start a new life with nothing but an air mattress?


Tonight my dinner was a little breakfasty, but I'm attempting to stay creative with my meals without the use of an oven.


To those who have attempted to poach an egg: I applaud those who have succeeded and I encourage those who have failed to keep trying. I feel like once you get it down you're golden.


Tonight was definitely not my first time trying to poach an egg, but it was the first time that it worked! My mom has made them for me since I was young and I was never able to recreate her mastery.




Look at that little champ, happily perched on his bed of asparagus.


Poached Egg and Sautéed Asparagus:


Ingredients:
1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed
1 egg
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt
Pepper


In a shallow pan, coat asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on the stove over medium heat, cooking the asparagus for about 3 minutes, rotating, then 3 more minutes.


While the asparagus is cook, fill a medium sauce pan about 1/3 of the way full with salted water. Bring to a simmer on the stove. Crack the egg into a small bowl without breaking the yolk. Once water it ready, create a a little whirlpool by stirring a wooden spoon in a circular motion through the water. Drop the egg into the center of the water, allowing it to form a tight little blob. After 2-3 minutes, or once the whites are completely opaque, gently remove the egg and lay it atop of on the side of the asparagus.


Good luck!

No comments: