Friday, August 26, 2011

The Perfect Chai Latte

When it comes to coffee shop drinks I'm not nearly as adventurous as I once was. When I walk up to the register at Starbucks I don't have to think about my order; "Grande, nonfat, no water chai, please."


No water? Sounds funny for a drink order.


When I was a senior in high school I was hired as a barista at Starbucks. It was by far my favorite job I've ever had, and it effected my life in ways that I could never have dreamed of. I always enjoyed chai lattes, but I usually saved them for rainy days and always made them with soy milk and a dash of cinnamon on top. I actually stole my current drink order from my best friend, Lilly. We were roommates in New York City, and I wouldn't have chosen to live with anyone else. Wish I could be making her a grilled cheese and braiding her hair right now.


If you do the math for how much a Starbucks habit can cost you, the numbers are scary. Other coffee shops may be a little cheaper, but I have found few places that make a chai that isn't too sweet. I like 'em spicy.


I found a possible solution by visiting CostCo and Williams-Sonoma.


CostCo sells Tazo Chai Concentrate in bulk, which happens to be the brand that Starbucks uses in their chais. However, I'm finding that the retail version is a little more diluted (Starbucks' chai recipe calls for the chai concentrate to be cut with water, but without the water the drink has a nice warm kick to it).


William-Sonoma sells a handy little gadget called the Aerolatte Milk Frother. What's a chai latte without a layer of creamy foam?




Not half bad! Although, as soon as I sprinkle nutmeg on top the foam disintegrates, which is a little unfortunate. I can't say I'll be able to go cold turkey on Starbucks, but this should at least help me put aside some cash for textbooks.


Finally getting some furniture tomorrow!

No comments: